1. United Kingdom and Great Britain are different
the united kingdom and Great Britain are not the same things great Britain is the official collective name of England Scotland Wales and their associated islands it does not include Northern Ireland and therefore should never be used interchangeably with the Uk.
2. Holland and the Netherlands are two separate things
The Netherlands is the term for the country as a whole twelve provinces while Holland refers to just the two provinces of the north and south Holland.
3. Toronto isn’t the capital of Canada
Toronto is not the capital of Canada it is Vancouver, just kidding it’s Ottawa
4. Iceland isn’t made of ice
Iceland isn’t made of ice. Icelandic landscapes are shaped by the forces of nature and vary from deep fjords to vast volcanic deserts to black sand beaches snow-capped mountains and staggering waterfalls.
5. Iran isn’t hot all of the time
Number five Iran isn’t hot all of the time in January and February Iran can see temperatures as low as four degrees celsius number six.
6. Greenland isn’t as big as it looks on a map
Greenland isn’t as big as it looks on a map Greenland is astronomically distorted on a traditional map and is a lot smaller than what it appears it is still huge, however.
7. Rio isn’t the capital of brazil
Rio isn’t the capital of brazil it had been the federal capital of the South American country from 1822 until 1960. But today the capital of brazil is Brasilia.
8. Eight Texas isn’t the largest state
In the central plateau of the country number eight texas isn’t the largest state texas is approximately 678 000 square kilometers while Alaska is around 1. 5 million square kilometers so around double.
9. Mount Everest isn’t technically the tallest mountain
Mount Everest isn’t technically the tallest mountain in the world Ecuador’s mount Chimborazo protrudes further out due to it being closer to the equator mount Everest is the tallest by height by sea level.
10. Johannesburg is not the capital of South Africa
Johannesburg is not the capital of South Africa and neither is just Cape Town it is bloom Fontaine Pretoria and cape town.
11. Antarctica is the driest continent on earth
Antarctica is the driest continent on earth, not Africa a desert is defined as a dry area that has very little rainfall given this Antarctica is the largest desert in the world.
12. Brazil is larger than the continental US
Brazil is larger than the continental US, although the US is the fourth largest country in the world and Brazil is fifth that’s mostly because of us territories’.
13. Sydney is not the capital of Australia
Sydney is not the capital of Australia although it is the most populated and arguably iconic city in Australia its capital is Canberra.
14. The pyramids of Giza aren’t in the middle of the desert
The pyramids of Giza aren’t in the middle of the desert many people assume that a visit to the pyramids of Giza requires a long trek into the Egyptian desert when in fact it’s quite an easy trip from the Cairo city center.
15. Istanbul is not the capital of Turkey
Istanbul is not the capital of turkey although it is their most popular and iconic city the capital is Ankara.
16. the Atlantic Ocean isn’t the largest body of water
The Atlantic Ocean isn’t the largest body of water on earth but in fact, the pacific ocean is the largest body of water in the world.
17. Norway has the second most coastline in the world
Norway has the second most coastline in the world most people would assume a gigantic country like Australia the US or Russia may have the second most coastline behind Canada when in fact it is nowhere.
18. Java is the most populated island
Java is the most populated island in the world at around 150 million java is by far the most populated island in the world home to Indonesia’s mega city capital Jakarta.
19. Great Britain is the third most populated island
Speaking of islands Great Britain is the third most populated island in the world little old great Britain is the third most populated island in the world at around 66 million inhabitants.
20. Greenland is the largest island in the world
Greenland is the largest island in the world, not Australia which is technically a continent an island is a mass of land that is both surrounded by water and also smaller than a continent by that definition Australia can’t be an island because it’s already a continent number.
21. Dutch not Spanish or Portuguese.
21. surname’s official language is dutch not Spanish or Portuguese.
22. California is more populated than the entirety of Canada.
22 California is more populated than the entirety of Canada. The population of Canada is 38.2 M which is less than that of California which is 39.2 M.
23. Spanish is the second most native-spoken language
Spanish is the second most native-spoken language in the world behind Mandarin, not English. But English is the most spoken language because is the second language of most of Britain’s colonies.
24. China does not have a city in the top five most populated
Although the most populated country in the world china does not have a city in the top five most populated in the world’s number
25. North Korea and Finland are separated by just one country
Now this one is insane North Korea and Finland are separated by just one country Russia.
26. Greenland is not an independent country
Greenland is not an independent country Greenland is an autonomous constituent country within the kingdom of Denmark and though it does enjoy a great deal of self-governing. It is not an independent Country.
27. Florida is not the closest state to Africa
Florida is not the closest state to Africa now this one blew my mind it makes sense since Florida is the southeastern state and cuts into the Atlantic but it’s not the case a small peninsula off the coast of Maine known as qadi’s head is mere 3150 miles from morocco the closest point in Florida to Africa is 1 000 miles further.
28. Mexico is technically not south of the US
Mexico is technically not south of the US while it may seem a little counterintuitive 11 u. s states have land farther south than the most northern point in Mexico in part of texas for example the u. s Mexico border is better described as being off to the west.
29. Afghanistan is geographically more in south Asia
Afghanistan is geographically more in south Asia than the middle east and is closer to Mumbai than the likes of Iraq or Yemen finally.
30. Egypt isn’t only located in Africa
Egypt isn’t only located in Africa sure Egypt is part of the African continent but it’s technically considered to be a transcontinental country while the Suez canal divides Asia and Africa there’s a tiny peninsula in Egypt that transcends the canal and toes the line between the two continents.
Spo there we have it 30 geography facts that most people get wrong again as we mentioned earlier if you love geography some of these may be basic knowledge but to the average person who doesn’t study geography or enjoy it these might be brand new facts to them so thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed the article.