You’re currently on our quick human facts page where you’ll learn loads of cool facts about humans, their anatomy and the various cultures around the world. By studying people from different regions of the world, we gain knowledge to help us understand who we are and the history behind us. Remember for more detailed facts and articles about humans check out our human facts section.
Human Quick Facts
1. If stomachs did not have a lining of mucus, your stomach would digest itself.
2. There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.
3. It takes about 60 seconds for a human blood cell to make a complete circuit of the body.
4. The average person will shed 40 pounds of skin in his/her lifetime.
5. 1/15th of a pint of blood is pumped with every heartbeat.
6. Humans share 98.4% of our DNA with chimps. In comparison, we share 70% of our DNA with a slug.
7. The lightest baby to survive weighed a mere 283 grams.
8. On average, women say 7,000 words per day while men manage just over 2,000 words.
9. The human brain uses 20% of the body’s energy but is only 2% of the body’s weight.
10. On average, humans lose 40-100 strands of hair per day.
11. A sneeze can exceed the speed of 100mph.
12. A cough can reach the speed of 60mph.
13. The average person will drink about 16,000 gallons of water in his/her lifetime.
14. It takes 17 muscles to smile while taking 43 muscles to frown.
15. The human brain is composed of 75% water.
16. Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
17. More germs are transferred while shaking hands compared to kissing.
18. There are approximately 550 hairs in a person’s eyebrow.
19. The strongest muscle in the human body is the tongue.
20. A person produces 10,000 gallons of saliva in an average lifetime.
21. The hardest bone in the human body is the jawbone.
22. The number of eye blinks varies greatly from about 29 blinks each minute if you are talking to someone to only 4 blinks each minute if you are reading.
23. The average human blinks 25 times per minute.
24. A nail takes around 6 months to grow from base to the tip.
25. Each second 10,000,000 cells die and are replaced in your body.
26. Your liver performs over 500 functions in your body.
27. The average person spends 1/3 of their lifetime sleeping.
28. More germs are transferred when shaking hands than kissing.
29. The average person (from western culture) consumes 10 liters of alcohol per year.
30. Roughly 75% of people who play the radio in their car sing along to it.
31. Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
32. Your right lung takes in more air than your left one does.
33. The human brain is composed of 75% water.
34. 70% of the composition of dust in your home is made up of shed human skin and hair.
35. The tooth is the only part of the human body that can’t repair itself.
36. One human hair can support 3kg.
37. Humans are the only animals that cry tears and blush.
38. It takes the interaction of 72 different muscles to produce human speech.
39. If the normal one hundred thousand hairs on a head were woven into a rope, it could support a weight of more than twelve tons.
40. The fingernail grows about 1.5 inches per year.
41. The total amount of skin covering an adult human weighs 6 lbs.
42. The average person flexes the joints in their fingers 24 million times during a lifetime.
43. Each person inhales about seven quarts of air every minute.
44. On average, we breathe between 12 and 18 times a minute.
45. The average guy will grow about 27 feet of hair out of his face during his lifetime.
46. Approximately 1 out of 25 people suffers from asthma.
47. The average man sweats 2 1/2 quarts every day.
48. One out of every hundred American citizens is color blind.
49. An average person laughs about 15 times a day.
50. A human heart beats 100,000 times a day.